Deer Canyon One to World Concerned Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Deer Canyon Community Engagement Forum

3 posters

Go down

The Deer Canyon Community Engagement Forum Empty The Deer Canyon Community Engagement Forum

Post by concerned Sat 11 Oct 2014, 1:28 am

Does anybody know what this form is all about? The Echos news letter says something about "technology", which to me indicates iPads. So my expectation is that this will be another meeting about iPad's in the classroom.

Does anybody know who created this forum? That is, was it some parents asking for another meeting? Or was the school thinking it is time for a meeting?

Why is the Echos news letter so vague about this meeting? Why is the agenda of the meeting not clearly spelled out? Why does the Echos news letter use language like " reaching out to our parent community and gathering hopes, dreams and ideas for the future of our school." This sort of language makes it sound like the meeting will be a brainstorming session or something.

What does "Developing a Vision for Teaching and Learning That Meets the Needs of Every Student" mean?

Does anybody else think this is odd to start a series of two forum without stating what is to be accomplished?

concerned

Back to top Go down

The Deer Canyon Community Engagement Forum Empty Re: The Deer Canyon Community Engagement Forum

Post by GreenGrass Sun 12 Oct 2014, 11:54 am

Oh, i see somebody else noticed the forum announcement. Sorry I don't have any answers, but I was wondering the same things myself.

GreenGrass

Back to top Go down

The Deer Canyon Community Engagement Forum Empty Re: The Deer Canyon Community Engagement Forum

Post by MomOf2 Tue 21 Oct 2014, 12:25 am

I think that it was some parents that were not happy with the 1:World / iPads in the classroom movement and not the school that created this forum.

I suggest anybody that wants to offer their opinion about using iPads for teaching should attend this forum.

MomOf2

Back to top Go down

Post by concerned Mon 27 Oct 2014, 11:05 pm

Well, the forum took place, and here is what it was about.

They divided the attendees (parents and teachers) into groups of about 6. Then they had the groups make a list of the best parts of Deer Canyon. And then the groups ranked them to highlight the most important items on the list. Finally the list where shared with all the groups and compared with the list that the staff came up with earlier.

Actually very little was said about technology or iPads.

So I don't know who created this forum.

Anybody got more clues?

concerned

Back to top Go down

Post by MomOf2 Fri 31 Oct 2014, 1:19 am

concerned wrote:Well, the forum took place, and here is what it was about.

They divided the attendees (parents and teachers) into groups of about 6. Then they had the groups make a list of the best parts of Deer Canyon. And then the groups ranked them to highlight the most important items on the list. Finally the list where shared with all the groups and compared with the list that the staff came up with earlier.

Actually very little was said about technology or iPads.

So I don't know who created this forum.

Anybody got more clues?

It should be noted that there was not a big turn out for this forum. About half the people there were teachers. And when they divided the attendees into groups the parents and teachers were mixed.

In one group they listed "1:World with iPads" as being one of the important items. But on the same group it was listed as "non fully implemented 1:world with iPads" as the important item. So this group obviously had members that were for the iPads, and other members that were not for the iPads.

MomOf2

Back to top Go down

Post by concerned Fri 09 Jan 2015, 12:38 pm

Part II of the forum is this Thursday.

Is there anybody planning on attending? If so, can they report back here what happened. I have a conflict and will probably not be able to attend.

concerned

Back to top Go down

Post by MomOf2 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

Did anybody attend this forum? Was it different from the last one?

MomOf2

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenGrass Tue 24 Feb 2015, 2:23 am

I see that there is another forum planned. Anybody going to this one?

GreenGrass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum