Deer Canyon One to World Concerned Parents
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does "paused" really mean for the One to World program?

5 posters

Go down

What does "paused" really mean for the One to World program? Empty What does "paused" really mean for the One to World program?

Post by RAID6 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:39 pm

On May 22, 2014, Terry Worthington sent an official e-mail to the parents of Deer Canyon students.

That e-mail included the following two quotes:

1. "As a result of that input, we have decided to pause and rethink our next steps."

2. "We will also continue to provide options to any Tk-5 family who would like to purchase an iPad through the district for their child to use at school or to have their child bring an iPad from home."

I looked at the supply lists for the 2014/2015 school year, and each grade from TK/K through 5th lists between 7 and 11 iPad apps.

If the One to World program is really paused, why are these apps necessary and why would I buy an iPad from the district or have a child bring an iPad from home?

RAID6

Back to top Go down

What does "paused" really mean for the One to World program? Empty Re: What does "paused" really mean for the One to World program?

Post by concerned Fri 13 Jun 2014, 12:20 am

I was wondering about the "pause" myself. 

On the original survey there were four options. 1) Bring your iPad to school, 2) Buy an iPad from the district, 3) Buy the iPad from the district in installments, and 4) Borrow an iPad from the school.

With the "pause" and the purchase still going through the first three options have not changed at all. Only the borrow option has changed a bit. Instead of borrowing you are sharing at school and you can't take the iPad home.

So the "pause" is not really a pause, but a modification of the original plan to make it cheaper for the school because they don't have to buy enough iPads for the borrowers to actually borrow them.

So why did they call it a "pause?"

concerned

Back to top Go down

What does "paused" really mean for the One to World program? Empty Re: What does "paused" really mean for the One to World program?

Post by Jason Fox Wed 25 Jun 2014, 3:25 am

There is no "Pause"!!!
The device and apps are already on school supplies for next year.  
How many parents have already review this list?  Most of us are too busy and probably won't look at this until 2 weeks before school starts.
The supply list was put together before "Pause" was announced as well as before survey was complete .  So how could the school have taken parents' inputs into its decision?

Jason Fox

Back to top Go down

Post by concerned Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:52 am

Jason Fox wrote:There is no "Pause"!!!
The device and apps are already on school supplies for next year.  
How many parents have already review this list?  Most of us are too busy and probably won't look at this until 2 weeks before school starts.
The supply list was put together before "Pause" was announced as well as before survey was complete .  So how could the school have taken parents' inputs into its decision?

I looked at the apps, and even tried a few of them. About a half a dozen of the apps where the "create your slide show" or "video edit" type application. A few of them could make silly faces and funny animation.

I would be interested in why three of the apps have to do with reading or creating QR codes (you know the box of square dots that holds the link to a web site generally in an advertisement). I don't know what the kids will be doing with a QR reader or creator. Anybody know?

A few of them were for writing in a journal / diary.  A few were math drill programs. A few handled spelling and phonics. Another for flash cards.

After running some of these I wondered two things:
1) What about those pesky in app purchases? The request to buy the full version etc?
2) What about the volume level? I ran one app that was very loud and muting the volume on the iPad did nothing. So what is it going to sound like in a class room full of kids running apps with the volume on?

One app was a note taker program. My question: is taking notes on an iPad actually easier than pencil and paper?

Another app was for organizing, keeping track of assignment due dates, messages, examining test and homework scores, submitting homework etc. In order to run the app you need to have a url from your institution or course instructor. So I can't actually try it. But from the description this seems overkill for a third grader. Does anybody have experience with this app and using it at the third grade level? In addition, I am concerned about the messaging side of the app as well. It gives the kids just one more way to start texting each other.

concerned

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenGrass Thu 17 Jul 2014, 7:25 pm

concerned,

I tried some of the apps. The MORFO app is pretty funny. It looks like the sort of App the kids would play with on a sleep over to make funny faces of their friends.  Laughing You can change hair color, lips and make the face look very goofy and then animate it too. Good entertainment .. but a teaching tool?  No

GreenGrass

Back to top Go down

Post by concerned Fri 18 Jul 2014, 5:55 pm

GreenGrass,

I too tried the MORFO app  No Does not look like a teaching tool to me either.

concerned

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenGrass Wed 13 Aug 2014, 1:39 am

Here it is, the statement about bringing your iPad to school. From the schools web site:

iPADS ON CAMPUS
Children bringing iPads to school are to report directly to their classrooms in the morning. iPads may not be brought to 
the playground or lunch areas before or after school and must be stored in students’ classrooms. iPads brought from 
home must have a protective case and be charged.

So, where are the iPads going to be "stored?" No mention of a locker.

GreenGrass

Back to top Go down

Post by MomOf2 Mon 15 Sep 2014, 1:22 am

concerned wrote:I would be interested in why three of the apps have to do with reading or creating QR codes (you know the box of square dots that holds the link to a web site generally in an advertisement). I don't know what the kids will be doing with a QR reader or creator. Anybody know?

The QR code creator is used for sharing the kids with with their parents. The can create a link to their "video" or "book" and then generate a QR code and print it out so that they can take it home. Then the parents can view their work.

MomOf2

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenGrass Sun 12 Oct 2014, 11:51 am

There was no real "pause" at all. Just the school continues and waits for parents to "come around" to their view. Currently:

Use if iPads has increased in the classrooms. Daily use of iPads. I would go as far as to state that they are "forcing" the use of iPads. That is, they are trying to find ways to use the iPads for more things where the use of an iPad does not fit.

Apparently there are some classrooms that are at the 1:World level. That is, students do not share iPads in these classrooms.

So, this was not a pause at all. It was announced as a pause, but the school went ahead with it's plans at a slower rate. In addition, the school did not give the parents feedback on the progress of the program. That is, they did not indicate on the "success" of the 1:world program to the parents in the news letters or other feedback.

There is something planed in the MPR room coming up later this month. They mention technology in the write up. Is this where we will be informed about the progress of the 1:world program?

GreenGrass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum